Saturday, August 30, 2014

8/30 - Exploring Seattle Area

I have visited Seattle several times since 1959, so when my cousin Beth asked me what we wanted to do here, I told her I had already seen Pike Place Market and the Space Needle several times, and to take us somewhere I didn't know about. I also mentioned I had never  been on any of the Puget Sound Islands. So today, we explored new stuff!

We started off with a great breakfast -- chipotle/maple syrup bacon and eggs custom made to our preferences. Then Jim and I hopped into the car with Beth, picked up Aunt Jean, and headed to Bainbridge Island, where Beth and her family had lived for 10 years while my Uncle Bill was a Lutheran minister there. We took a car ferry over and got a tour of the island, and just really enjoyed this pretty wild-looking space in reasonable commute distance to Seattle. We drove past their old house and the church and the schools Beth went to, the water-front park they camped at, and just generally got a sense of why Bainbridge Island might be a great place to live if you worked in Seattle.

Then we drove over the bridge to the mainland (but connected from the south, so the ferry was still the best way to get back) and went to Poulsbo, a Norwegian-ancestry village on the sound. We had lunch there and explored the shops (naturally, I found earrings I couldn't live without) and bought bakery at Beth's favorite place. Jim ate his danish right away, but I am saving mine for breakfast tomorrow.

After more sightseeing of the wilds of the area, we took the ferry back home to the mainland and dropped off Aunt Jean before heading back to Beth's home. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera, and my cell phone ran thru its battery in record time, so I have no photos of the lush green (primarily fir trees) of the island and surrounding areas, but it felt really refreshing. I love where we live in Marin, in part because it is so much greener than most of the bay area, but this was totally greenery heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment