Monday, September 11, 2023

The Next Trip/Brief Recent History

 A lot has changed in my life (no longer OUR lives) since our Alaska trip. Jim had medical complications just before we were due to leave for a trip to Southeast Asia. Instead of going to the airport, he ended up at the hospital on the day we would have landed in Bangkok and died peacefully (and shockingly to me) 4 days later in mid February this year.

This resulted in lots of changes to my life. I sold our house and moved into a close-by apartment, figuring I would find a Marin location further north and move when my lease is up next spring. I visited my daughter in Illinois at her 55+ Active community for a couple weeks in May and felt astoundingly welcomed by her friends, who immediately set off to find me a home there. They were successful! Being near my daughter again was a huge draw and the financial advantages of living there were not lost on me either, so I now own a house a 1 minute walk away from Kristen and will move around the end of October, after my return from this trip.

I also have a new travel companion, Sandy, whose husband died a couple years ago. Jim and I had been encouraging her to get back into the international travel habit by taking a trip with us, so she seemed like a natural travel partner as we both set off to see the world without our long time companions. She tried to beg off by telling me she snored. I assured her that with my hearing aids out, I wouldn't have a problem. Apparently, that was her only viable argument against the trip and we have had a ball planning it ever since. I fully packed on Saturday for a Wednesday departure but now have time to do some editing.

We are going to New Zealand, where Jim and I honeymooned in 1999/2000, but this itinerary is a lot different than ours was. And knowing OAT like I do, I am sure I will learn a lot more about the places I have already been.

Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment