Saturday, June 30, 2018

6/17 -- Manual Antonio National Park


We set out for Manual Antonio National Park after the first World Cup match featuring Costa Rica --they lost, but put up a good fight at 1-0. The park has more reserved marine space than land acreage and  fishing is not allowed in its waters. Several small islands are also protected and are locations where marine birds nest.


We walked about a leisurely mile to the more sheltered of the 2 main beaches. We spotted agouti on the way. Most people stayed on the beach, but the 4 intrepid souls who went on the night walk hiked an uphill trail to the top of what used to be an island but is now connected by the bridge of sand between the two beaches. 



Above and below: This is all a single huge ant hill.

Beach on the Pacific Side
Agouti
Sheltered cove where our group stayed
Four of us (the 4 night walkers) followed Andres on a walk to the top of Cathedral Hill. I counted step – only 263 up to the top – but it was hot and sticky and I was wearing my swimsuit under a beach dress and really started to wilt near the end. The other were ogling the fauna in the trees and I headed back along the trail to the beach. When it the trail rose steeply again, I feared I had missed a cutoff to the beach and backtracked. But no, I had to go up another 2 hills to get to the sand. 

This is a HUGE (non-poisonous) snake. All the photos I took that
showed the head were blurry. I think the camera was challenged
to distinguish between snake and leave and tree.
One of the protected islands
Domingo watches as Andres pulls a termite of the tree
That teensy thing on his index finger is a termite.
Maria decides to eat one.
White-faced monkey. They were good at hiding in the leaves.
I can SEE the beach, but it is farther to walk than I thought.

The rest of the photos in this section are by Andres. Snake
above and below.

The four intrepid hikers: me, Domingo, Amy, and Maria
And a selfie of Andres, guide extraordinaire
A better photo of a monkey.
I was desperate for a dip in the ocean by that time, but it was short because it was time for us to head back as soon as the other arrived, about 15 minutes later. We made a lunch stop for shrimp or papaya ceviche nearby, which was quite good, then had the rest of the afternoon to recover, before a group dinner at a restaurant whose optional beverages included margaritas.
While waiting for the rest of the group, this
monkey posed nicely, away from the leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment