Tuesday, June 12, 2018

6/9 - Fly to Costa Rica: Horrible Start!


Checking a bag at American after checking in online was confusing and challenging. Signage was minimal, but the new process is to proceed to a kiosk to print out and apply your own baggage tag before getting in the long line to turn the bag over. Several kiosks were out of service, the passport reader refused to accept my passport so I had to type it all in using a screen where the calibration was so bad that LYNN came out LYJH -- I had to almost miss the N to get it to read. Then they wanted payment for our checked bag, very unusual for an international trip (they told us international free bags only counted if we crossed an ocean...). While I was fighting the machine, Jim was managing 2 roller bags, a heavy backpack and soft carryon, and got tripped up, hurting his left shin and knee.

TSA Pre was loaded with slow people, but we had arrived early and stopped to get breakfast. I couldn't remember if I had put away my credit card after the bag fee and mis-read what I had in my wallet, so went racing back out of the secured area to see if my card  had been turned in (no) and going back thru TSA Pre was even worse because half the staff was on break -- 2 sets of lines the first time, now one. I was supposed to meet Jim at the gate in Terminal 2, but our gate was NOT in terminal 2 and American was not helpful telling me to go to Terminal 1 because they didn't mention the connecting corridor and I was thinking I had to leave security again AND I couldn't find Jim and he did not bring his phone. I was frantic and  near tears and boarding was due to start when TSA pointed me to the short cut.

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, but the start was brutal. Our trip leader in Costa Rica led me to a pharmacy where I bought a knee brace for Jim, hoping it would help his mobility.

No comments:

Post a Comment